Friday, January 8, 2010

Haters don't get it

I feel sorry for people who let petty rivalries get in the way of realizing/appreciating what a special kid/leader/soldier Colt McCoy is. I often find myself rooting against UT, being a fan of another Big 12 team, but I thoroughly enjoyed watching Colt McCoy handle himself as a man last night.

His postgame thoughts were heartfelt and genuine. "I would have given everything to be out there on the field with my teammates. But, I don't question why this happened. God gets the glory no matter what. God is in control of my life. And I know that if nothing else, I'm standing on the Rock." What refreshing words from a 22 year old superstar in the face of a bleak situation.

Though, football lovers everywhere have verbally mocked McCoy for his inability to get back on the field. They call him soft. They say he quit. They say he lacks heart. They claim that kids from their school would never bow out in such a way. And all the while, these people are completely missing the fact that these kind of young men don't come around but once or twice every generation. It's sad really.

I have a passion for sports that is often overbearing on those around me, yet, I even grow tired of the ignorance people show when verbally abusing athletes, especially kids. When you find yourself attacking the character, completely unwarranted mind you, of a 22 year old kid simply because of the color/logo he wears, that may be a sign that your alma mater/team you follow means too much to you bro. Take a step back and show some respect for a young man that soldiers on for a cause greater than himself. Even if you don't agree or like it, respect it.

DW

1 comment:

  1. I totally agree. We should aim to appreciate all touchdowns--no matter which team is slam-dunking them.

    ReplyDelete